Without a doubt, Ebru Ellis has talent. Yet the 31-year-old singer from South London is still waiting for her big break.
Earlier this month, Ebru dropped her new single Running, an urban pop song that has been on repeat on my MP3 player ever since. It has a brilliant uplifting beat and shows off Ebru’s vocal range.
“Keep running. Keep running. Running far away from me. You told me so many lies, just to get me in your sheets,” goes the catchy chorus. If we weren’t on lockdown, we would be singing this banging tune at clubs and parties all summer long.
As we resign ourselves to indoor listening, here are five facts you need to know about Ebru Ellis.
- Real name Ebru Gürsoy, she took part The X Factor in 2015 season, where she was given the new stage surname Ellis. Ebru was one of the 24 contestants who went through to the Judges Houses, where she was eliminated.Her mentor in the Over 25s category was none other than Simon Cowell, who said ‘Is there something about her that makes her forgettable?’ after her performance of Ed Sheeran’s Photograph. We beg to differ Simon: Ebru makes an impact with every song and performance!
- Ebru Ellis originally hails from Bursa, Turkey. She moved to London with her family at an early age, and has been a resident south of the river ever since.
- Her musical journey started at the age of seventeen, when she was asked to provide backing vocals for Craig David. In 2014, Ebru also provided backing vocals for Sam Smith’s award-winning mega hit single ‘Stay With Me’.
- 2012 saw Ebru release her debut single Mad under the artist name E.B.R.U.
- Ebru’s soulful influences came from listening to the likes of Destiny’s Child, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Jill Scott, and Aretha Franklin, and a love of gospel music. She’s honed her soulful vocals singing with the London Community Gospel Choir.
You can listen or buy Running from all good digital stores and platforms, including Spotify, Amazon, and iTunes.