Recently released, Nejla Clements’ book The Battle of Kokkina is the true story of how a besieged Turkish Cypriot community survived attempted annihilation as they defended a key coastal village in Northern Cyprus.
The book is based on Erenköy ve Hayat– the extraordinary autobiography of Nejla’s uncle Fadıl Elmasoğlu (both pictured above), who led the resistance group formed following the first wave of Greek Cypriot attacks in December 1963. Written in English, the book captures the life of village folk among the mayhem of fighting, as they tried to pursue a normal life.
The isolation of Kokkina continued for thirteen years, but not once did the inhabitants consider giving up their homes. Normal cultural practices continued; socialising, matchmaking, weddings, babies being born, educating their young. All this while men concentrated on fighting the armed attacks on their village from the hills behind them and the sea to their front.
The Battle of Kokkina is on sale worldwide via publisher Troubador, and T-VINE also has a copy to give away. To be in with a chance to win, answer the simple question below.
What is the Turkish name of the village of Kokkina where the book is based?
A) Erenköy B) Gaziveren C) Yeşilırmak
The competition is free to enter and runs to Sunday 14 October 2018.
T-VINE Magazine is giving away one copy of The Battle of Kokkina by Nejla Clements. Correct entries will be entered into a free prize draw and the winner notified within 16 hours of the competition closing. The competition is open to UK residents only.
There are two ways to enter into our free prize draw:
- Either like T-VINE Magazine’s Facebook page and leave your answer under The Battle of Kokkina book competition post pinned at the top of the page; OR
- Send us an email to competition @ t-vine.com marking the subject line Kokkina Book Competition. If you are emailing your entry, do include your full name, address and daytime contact number.
Those responding by Facebook are not required to give their address on the public post. Should you be a winner via social media, you will be sent a private message from T-VINE informing you that you have won and be asked for your details as part of your prize confirmation.
The deadline for your competition entry is 23.59 (UK time) Sunday 14 October 2018. We will announce the winner within 24 hours after the competition closes.
- Only one competition entry per person.
- You must be eighteen or over and reside in the United Kingdom to enter.
- There is a single prize on offer: a copy of The Battle of Kokkina by Nejla Clements, which will be despatched by Royal Mail recorded delivery to the address provided by the winner.
- The prize is non-transferable, non-refundable and non-negotiable.
- There is no cash alternative.
- A winner will be selected randomly by T-VINE Magazine, who must claim their prize within four hours of being contacted. Failure to do so would render them disqualified and a new winner picked.
- The judge’s decision is final.