Category: Community

Community
Anatolia and London welcomes spring with Nevruz/Newroz celebrations

On this day, March 21st, each year Turks, Kurds, Iranians, and many other people across central Asia celebrate their traditional New Year. This centuries-old festival centres around the northern hemisphere’s Spring Equinox, marking the start of a new calendar year when spring breathes new life into nature, and the region enjoys far more sunlight. […]

Community
Save the date for first ‘Turkish Cypriot Cultural Festival’ in June

The Council of Turkish Cypriot Associations UK (CTCA UK), or KONSEY as it is more commonly known, is gearing up to one of its biggest ever events this summer. On Sunday 25 June, they will be hosting the Turkish Cypriot Cultural Festival at the Chingford Rugby Club in East London. This all-day event promises […]

Columnists
A small contribution to peace

My last wish When I die Is that you bury me in Cyprus Let my body be merged With the soil of my native land My head to my guts in the South My loins to my feet in the North Let me have two graves In the North and in the South For I […]

Community
Playing for peace: Umut Albayrak and Koulis Theodorou live in Palmers Green

Two of Cyprus’ best known contemporary artists, Umut Albayrak and Koulis Albayrak, will be performing in North London next week. The concert will feature popular folk songs in Greek and Turkish, celebrating the shared culture of the small Eastern Mediterranean island. Both Albayrak and Albayrak are committed peace activists, who recently sang together in support […]

Community
Prof. Orhan Çekiç the keynote speaker for annual Atatürk remembrance conference

The Çanakkale Remembrance Platform (Çanakkale Anma Platformu) has released details of their annual conference and dinner in honour of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk. Associate Prof. Orhan Çekiç, one of Turkey’s leading authorities on the founder of the Turkish Republic, will be speaking about the final year of Atatürk’s life, which ended on 10 November 1938. The […]

Community
Profile: Rauf Raif Denktaş Turkish School, Blackfen

As the new academic year gets underway, thousands of British children of Turkish heritage will also be attending one of 40 Turkish supplementary schools. For three to four hours each weekend, they have the chance to learn to read and write Turkish, and explore their cultural history with children of a similar age. For some […]

Community
Bahar Gökhan and Doğan Akın to perform at cancer charity fundraiser next Sunday

The UK Cancer Benevolent Association (İngiltere Kanser Hastalarına Yardım Derneği) is holding its annual fundraising ball next Sunday. The charitable group was set up to give support to British Turks undergoing cancer treatment. Singer Bahar Gökhan, the rising star of Turkish classical music, is jetting in from Cyprus for the concert. Also on the line-up […]