Trial starts for two new men accused of kidnapping and murdering Turkish DJ Koray Alpergin

The trial of two men accused of kidnapping and killing popular Turkish DJ Koray Alpergin at a disused bar in Tottenham two years ago has started at the Old Bailey.

Isay Stoyanov, 43, and Dylan Weatherley, 20, stand accused of murdering Mr Alpergin, as well as two counts of kidnap and two counts of false imprisonment, which they deny.

Jurors were told at the start of the trial on Monday that another man, Kyle Mitchell-Peart, 31, has admitted two counts of kidnapping and two counts of false imprisonment.

In December, five other men were jailed after being found guilty of various offences including manslaughter, kidnap, false imprisonment and perverting the course of justice, at the first trial into the murder of Koray Alpergin.

Prosecutor Crispin Aylett KC, who led the case in the first trial last year, also leads in the second trial at the Old Bailey.

Mr Aylett told the jury that on the evening of 13 October 2022 Koray Alpergin (pictured top), a 43-year-old popular DJ and owner of Turkish community radio station Bizim FM, took his girlfriend, Gözde Dalbudak,34, to a restaurant in Mayfair before driving her back to his home in Cockfosters, Enfield.

Details of the trial were captured by crime reporter Chris Summers of The Epoch Times and shared on his X (formerly Twitter) account in a series of posts.

Mr Aylett said as the couple arrived at Mr Alpergin’s house in Ebony Crescent, Enfield, eight men emerged from two vehicles: a white Fiat Doblo van and a VW Polo.

Mr Aylett said of the eight men involved in the kidnap, four of them were convicted at a trial last year, and two of them have fled to Turkiye where they remain fugitives.

Mitchell-Peart was also one of the eight, along with Weatherley, who the prosecution allege was in the VW Polo.

The court was told the eight men drove Mr Alpergin and his girlfriend to the Stadium Lounge (formerly Ezgi Türkü Bar), which at the time was a disused bar and restaurant on Tottenham High Road, virtually opposite the Tottenham Hotspur stadium. The van arrived at the back of the building around 11.20pm on Thursday evening, 13 October.

There Ms Dalbudak was locked in a toilet while Mr Alpergin was subjected to horrific torture that resulted in 94 separate injuries all over his body, including head injuries, broken ribs, throttling, scalding from burning water, and injuries to his private parts. His naked body was later dumped in Woodland in Loughton, Essex.

Mr Aylett said there is no evidence to suggest Stoyanov or Weatherley were involved in the violence meted out to Mr Alpergin, but he said the prosecution still accuse them of murder, or at least manslaughter, for their role in Mr Alpergin’s death.

Cellsite evidence has been using to determine one of the defendants’ whereabouts, with Mr Aylett telling the court that a phone linked to Stoyanov was dumped, along with the SIM card, within minutes of Mr Alpergin being delivered to The Stadium Lounge on the night of his death.

The trial continues.