Uproar as Fenerbahçe players attacked by Trabzonspor fans after Sunday’s Süper Lig game

Twelve people have been detained by police for a variety of offences following violent scenes at Trabzonspor’s Trendyol Süper Lig game against Fenerbahçe on Sunday.

Home fans were seen hurling missiles on to the pitch at the Şenol Güneş Papara Park stadium during the match, before attacking the visiting players after the final whistle had blown.

One Trabzonspor fan was pictured as he grabbed a corner flag and used it as a makeshift weapon as he charged at Fenerbahçe players. Other fans tried to punch and kick the visitors, with stewards unable to stop them following the large scale pitch-invasion.

Fenerbahçe players and staff tried to defend themselves, with several Canary players seen hitting the home fans in response.

The violence continued down the tunnel and into the changing rooms, with local media reporting that Emre Kartal, a member of the coaching staff and the son of Fenerbahçe manager İsmail Kartal, has bruising to his head and cracked ribs after being attacked at the game.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino described the violence as “shocking” and has called on the Turkish authorities to ensure “the perpetrators” are “held accountable for their actions”.

Writing on social media, Mr Infantino said: “The violence witnessed after the Turkish Super Lig match between Trabzonspor and Fenerbahce is absolutely unacceptable – on or off the field, it has no place in our society.

“All players have to be safe and secure to play the game which brings such joy to so many people all over the world.

“I call on the relevant authorities to ensure that this is respected at all levels and for the perpetrators of the shocking events in Trabzon to be held accountable for their actions.”

Both the Turkish Football Federation and Turkiye’s Minister of Interior Ali Yerlikaya have also condemned the violence and pledged to investigate and punish the culprits.

Mr Yerlikaya tweeted: “After the Trabzonspor-Fenerbahçe football match played this evening, identification efforts regarding the spectators entering the field and an investigation into the events that took place after the match were immediately launched.

“Sports is, above all, sportsmanship. It is never acceptable for violence to occur on football fields. The public will be informed about the developments.”

The chaos at the end of the game followed a tense and hostile atmosphere inside the ground, where Fenerbahçe needed a win to keep apace with Süper Lig leaders Galatasaray, who had a five point advantage before the start of the game.

The visitors had taken a two goal lead by half time. Trabzonspor fans were seen repeatedly lobbing water bottles and other objects, including coins and flares, at Fenerbahçe players and coaching staff, which intensified in the second half, prompting the referee Halil Umut Meler to pause the game in the 55th minute.

The match resumed after the various objects were cleared from the pitch, but fans once again started throwing missiles, one of which struck Fenerbahçe’s Serbian international Dušan Tadić, forcing the referee to again pause the game.

The home side scored two goals in quick succession, on the 63rd and 75th minutes, setting up a thrilling finale that Fenerbahçe edged through an 87th minute goal from striker Michy Batshuayi.

After winning the pulsating game 3-2, Fenerbahçe players opted to celebrate in the centre of the pitch, knowing they had again closed the gap with Galatasaray to two points. However, they were suddenly confronted with Trabzonspor fans storming the pitch trying to attack them.

Sunday’s violent scenes have made international headlines that once again show the ugly face of Turkish football.

A few months ago, there was uproar and all matches from the Süper Lig were suspended after the president of MKE Ankaragücü, Faruk Koca, punched the referee in the head after his team drew with Rizespor.

Last week, Sivasspor fans invaded the pitch and attacked the visiting Fiorentina players, who had defeated the home side 1-4 in the second leg of their Europa Conference League last 16 tie at Yeni Sivas 4 Eylül Stadyumu.

Midfielder Alessandro Bianco from the Italian Seria-A side was left with a broken nose after being punched on Thursday night. Two fans were arrested in relation to the incident afterwards.

All eyes are now on the Turkish FA and what punishment it will issue given the severe ongoing problems with violent fans inside stadiums.