Three arrests after teenager Nedim Birgim is murdered in Islington

Police have arrested three people following the murder of Nedim Birgim, who was knifed to death on a busy main road in Islington, North London, on Tuesday evening, 29 January.

The emergency services raced to the scene after receiving reports of an assault in Caledonian Road, by the junction with Tilloch Street, North London, at 18.49. They found 17-year-old Nedim suffering stab injuries. He was pronounced dead at the scene a short while later.

Witnesses claimed Nedim was attacked after refusing to hand over his bicycle. He was said to have been stabbed in the chest by a weapon described as a ‘Rambo’ knife.

He had tried to stagger into nearby off licence to seek help but collapsed outside on Caledonian Road. Bystanders and medics battled desperately to save the boy but were unable to do so. It’s believed the knife wound had pierced Nedim’s heart.

“He went out on his bike and never came home”

His father Nusret told the Evening Standard: “He was a wonderful boy we are devastated. He went out on his bike and never came home.

“We don’t know whether they were stealing his bike or what. That’s what someone said. We were told a car pulled up and they stabbed him. We have no idea why. He was just minding his own business. He was a good boy.”

His mother Remziye said: “We are devastated. This violence must stop.”

Nedim is the fifth person to be fatally stabbed in London so far in 2019.

According to Islington councillor Paul Convery, the local area has been blighted by gang violence for several years. He told the press that Nedim’s murder has “unpleasant parallels” with the killing of Alan Cartright, who was also stabbed to death on Caledonian Road by robbers attempting to steal his bike in 2015.

Three youths have been taken into custody following the fatal attack. Two males aged, one aged 17, the other 16, were arrested near to the scene on suspicion of murder. Following initial enquiries, a third male aged 18 was arrested on suspicion of murder at a residential address in Islington. He also remains in custody at this time.

The attack took place on a busy main road just over a mile away from Emirates Stadium, where Arsenal played Cardiff City that night. Supporters were told to avoid Caledonian Road after the football match.

Police appeal for witnesses

DCI Mark Wrigley, who is leading the investigation, said: “This fatal knife attack took place just before 7pm in an area when lots of people would have been passing through the area on foot and in cars.

“We have had reports of people seen running around and on pedal bikes near Caledonian Road junction with Tilloch Street, N1 before and just after 7pm. Were you there? Did you see anything suspicious? Do you record footage before or after the attack or have you vehicle’s dashcam on? We need to hear from you to help build a clearer picture of what unfolded.”

T/Chief Superintendent Nick Davies from Central North Area, which includes Islington said: “Tragically the local community is now coming to terms with the senseless loss of life of a young man who had everything to live for. This teenage victim lived in Islington.

“Two arrests have been made so far. The investigation continues apace. My officers and those from the Homicide and Major Crime Command are carrying out a number of detailed forensic and CCTV footage related enquiries.

“I completely understand the alarm and concern it has raised from those who live and work in the area.

“A crime scene will remain in place today as officers continue their painstaking work to piece together the details of the attack.

“I would urge the local community to be patient and cooperate where possible with the work detectives are getting on with in the area.

“My officers will be out working to support investigators today and be there to talk to the public and listen to the concerns they have. Neighbourhood patrols will be stepped up in the area and locals can expect to see more police. I would urge anyone with information on the attack to contact police without delay. “

Any witnesses, or anyone with information, is asked to call the police incident room on 0208 345 3715. To remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, or tweet police via @MetCC